Thursday, July 31, 2014

Let's Talk About Sex, Baby!

I walk the line. A fine line between too much sex, even for an erotic romance. Okay, actually I probably fall over that line, but I'm okay with that. Why? Because I don't write sex just for the sake of sex.

I won't have my characters boinking gratuitously because there's been 100 pages since the last time they boinked. But I will write sex in order to move the plot along. In my stories, when my characters get horizontal (or vertical against the wall, whatever) it's because one or both of them wants something. Or maybe they're trying to say something but sex is easier than finding the right words. Regardless, sex is important and meaningful in the relationships of the characters I write. There's always a reason behind it.



I know that not everyone will enjoy reading all the smut on the pages of my books, and that's okay. There's been plenty of times where I've skipped over a sex scene in a book, but that doesn't mean I didn't go back and read it later. Every time I think about changing the way I tell my stories, I think back to a review I saw on Amazon for The Sergeant. "I hope the author doesn't change her writing style." Was she referring to all the horizontal mambo going on with Logan and Clay? No clue. But I appreciated that she liked my style enough to take the time to put it in a review.

Does that mean that I don't think I should change anything about my writing? Hell no! I know I have lots of learning and improving to do as a writer. I look forward to seeing how my writing will mature over the years. But the basic way I tell a story, I think that will stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment